Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hard Drive Love Story

In the early '90's, I looked to Doogie Howser, MD as my source of inspiration - nerd-ily sophisticated, equipped with an intellect that could solve world peace, and surprisingly sexy. I wanted to be a doctor just so I could type on my IBM computer and relay the information to my journal with my fingertips on the keyboard (I thought that was SO cool!)

Fast-forward a decade and to the beginning of the 2000's when Carrie Bradshaw took her seat at the writer's chair dictating how and why women aren't finding love. Carrie influenced my love-life in my early 20's when Doogie was off acting next to that Tony Shalhoub guy and "discovering" his Broadway genes.

We, as viewers, are easily influenced by someone in front of the computer screen. We let them be the index to the chapters of our lives right then and there because we're in the dark about them as much as the next guy. But why? Why do we let them take the driver's seat while we take the backseat?



The Answer: Because we'd much rather see them make the mistakes that we know inevitably would be made by us. Heck, it's Hollywood right? Nobody gets hurt. We turn off the television when the episode's over and then we listen to the seeds in our heads start to grow. But is it the failures that tempt us? The heartbreak that ensues that makes us yearn for these characters? Only we, individuals, can answer that. One thing's for sure, it makes for great television. I can't wait to see which fictional character pops up to help answer these tough day-to-day questions in these modern times. But I'll be in my mid-30's by then - I'll have already answered all my queries, right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment