Sunday, June 15, 2014

Ilona's Neutra-Chic Therapist Office | Workspace

Name: Ilona Salmons, Psychotherapist ilonasalmons.com
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Size: 280 square feet
Talien Barsamian, Interior Designer houseofpalette.com
 
When you walk into Ilona Salmons's therapist office, you are immediately drawn to how the natural light funneling-in from the 2-story building courtyard blankets every corner of this 280 square foot space. And just as a perfect pair of Manolo Blahnik's slide perfectly to snug one's feet, Ilona's therapist lounge chair pairs perfectly with the space she and her designer, Talien Barsamian, have created.



My Style: Mid-century modern
 
The Inspiration for My Office: My office is located in a charming, two-story 1950s brick building in the Mid-Wilshire area of Los Angeles.  It is nestled in between modern low- and high-rise towers.  This fusion of the past and the present was the inspiration for my space.  I wanted the design of my office to integrate the history of the building with the modern day – perhaps a nod to the fact that our identity, as individuals, is influenced by our unique histories and is a union of the old and new.

I worked with Talien Barsamian, Interior Designer at House of Palette, to achieve a simple yet comfortable Mid-century modern design.  The result is a warm, welcoming, airy space that helps my clients instantly feel “at-home” as they ease into their session.
 
Biggest Challenge: My office has a large, white, built-in bookshelf that spans the entirety of one wall.  Because we did not want to do any major renovations, the challenge was to design the space around this fixed component.  Talien advised we paint the back of the bookshelf a few shades darker than the rest of the space, like one might do with an accent wall.  This created a beautiful contrast and highlighted the bookshelf as the focal point in the room. 
 
Biggest Embarrassment in My Office: My office has an old 2x4 acoustical tile ceiling with fluorescent lighting.  Although two large windows allow for plenty of daylight, in the evening, the fluorescent lighting is much too bright for the space and negates the warmth we worked so hard to achieve.  Instead of relying on the fluorescent lights, we put four lamps in the office, including a floor lamp, desk lamp, and two bookshelf lamps.  All lamps are outfitted with energy-efficient LED bulbs and allow for sufficient lighting in the evenings without sacrificing the mood of the space.
 
Biggest Indulgence:The sofa was my biggest indulgence.  In designing my office, my priority was for my clients to be comfortable and the sofa was a worthwhile investment. 
 




Proudest DIY: My proudest DIY is the frame collage.  I saw many examples on Pinterest and wanted something similar in my office.  The entire project took longer than Pinterest would lead you to believe, but it was worth the effort and I am thrilled with the results!
 







Favorite Element: My favorite element is the “I told my therapist about you” framed graphic, which is a subtle tribute to the work that I do with my clients and my unique therapeutic style. 

I am not a stereotypical “and how does that make you feel?” Therapist.  It takes a lot of courage to reach out to a Therapist for support and my clients trust me with their most intimate feelings and genuine selves.  I feel honored to have their confidence and I reciprocate by being authentic with my clients.  I bring appropriate humor into the work that I do with my clients, and this frame is a light-hearted element that brings a little bit of my personality into the space.

Best Advice Given or Received: Your environment will directly influence the type of work you are able to do, so it is important to create a space that will inspire you every day. Honor the process and give it the time that it deserves. Don't try to remodel your entire office in one day. Instead, focus on the big-picture items, and the details will fall into place over time. Be flexible. Given yourself permission to refine your ideas and as a result, your space will be a more genuine reflection of you.
 

What friends say about my office: “I want to come here for therapy!”
 

Dream source for stuff: Talien, my interior designer - I couldn't have done it without her!  When taking on a project like this, it's important to have someone with experience who can create a beautiful vision for your space and then execute it in a timely and professional manner, and within budget.  Talien exceeded all of my expectations.   

 
Thanks for sharing your office space! I'd sign-up for an hour-long counseling session with you in your new office, but that would be weird…we're friends! I'll just have to enjoy these photos for now. =)
 
________
FURNITURE
Glass Top for Desk: Culver Glass
End Table: Amazon.com
Chair: Plummers
Sofa: Plummers

ACCESSORIES
Succulent Plant: Lowes
Gray Candle Set: Ikea
Filled Owl Candle: West Elm
Throw: West Elm
Pillows: Homegoods
Water Pitcher and Tray:  Homegoods
Alarm Clock: Amazon.com
Bookends: Amazon.com
Hand Bookends: Amazon.com
Banksy Coasters: Amazon.com
White Vases: Ikea
Jonathan Adler Vases: Jonathan Adler
Moon Print: Eve Sand
Banksy Prints: Etsy

LIGHTING
Desk Lamp: Ikea
Bookshelf Lamp: Ikea
Floorlamp: Ikea

PAINT

No comments:

Post a Comment