Monday, May 9, 2011

Last Name Guillermo: 2,100 Miles

With almost a full day of traveling under his belt in 30 degree weather and only a Member's Only jacket keeping him warm, he brought his son to college 2,100 miles away - 2,100 miles away from what his son had known to be home for all his life. 

They checked into a Travelodge down the street from campus for the night. Their rental car, a champagne-colored Chevy Cavalier with 1,500 miles of friction rubbed to the pavement.  They searched for a piece of home to remind them that this journey was made for reason, for purpose, and most importantly, for love. They found this little town's one of two total Chinese restaurants in a 10 mile radius, and they were fine for the night.

He made this journey with his son to say good luck and to say good bye, to tell him to make him proud. 



I never told my dad this, I never told anyone for that matter, but the day that my dad left me at Purdue, I cried. I cried not because I had already begun to miss him, but because I was worried he had begun to miss me.




No comments:

Post a Comment